Ad-aholics Anonymous :)

Say what you REALLY feel about the latest ad you just saw..

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Branded Entertainment

Ok this post is personally something I am really interested in. I want to talk to you guys about something called "branded entertainment" - which is basically advertising that you see at sporting events in unique ways to try and get you to remember the brand.
Last week I was very lucky to go see the best baseball team on earth (obviously the
YANKEES) play at Camden Yards in Baltimore. As Matt Fox pointed out in his comment, I was very interested in the different advertising that was presented at the game. The picture at right shows the scoreboard at Camden Yards- it is absolutely HUGE! You can tell its size by comparing it to the miniature people underneath or the brick building in the back looking very small. Anyway- the 2 ads that were presented on the board that night were for Coca-Cola and Verizon. There were many other ads all around the field such as the picture on the left- but I honestly can not remember one of them! Obviously, Verizon and Coca-Cola spent the most money on advertising that day- but in my mind it worked- and I can justify that by saying that I specifically remembered those 2 ads, and no others. Do you think it is worth the money to be one of the big advertising spenders and buy a spot on the scoreboard, or spend less money and get a spot on the field? I think it is definitely worth it to spend more money on the scoreboard because think of how many people are watching the game, and everytime the scoreboard is shown they also see the advertisement whereas a smaller ad on the field might not be that visible on television.
By definition, branded entertainment "entails embedding one's brand or brand icons as part of any entertainment property in an effort to imporess and connect with your consumer in a unique and compelling way." HUH?! Let me make this easier for you- one word- NASCAR. Yeah, it is not exactly my favorite thing to watch- actually I think it is incredibly and horribly boring- but it is an AMAZING advertising industry! And Nascar is also the most watched sport in America ( I couldn't believe it either) What better way to advertise than to have your company's product on the side of a car that is driving repeatedly in circles
, and watched by more Americans than any other sport?! We talked about how if people see the same Brand name repeatedly, it tends to stick in their head and they remember it. Think of the INDY 500- the car drives around the same track 500 times and everyone is watching! General industry research has also proven that NASCAR fans are "unusually loyal" to the brands that sponsor cars. Also a very high percent of NASCAR fans are women, which is why companies like TIDE chose to advertise products geared towards women as well. Personally, I think those who choose to advertise at NASCAR are brilliant!
Can you think of any other sports or advertisements you may have seen that were very effective to you besides baseball or NASCAR? Also I am going to keep my poll up for another week if you want to still vote! I have more to say about brand entertainment, but I'll save it for next week :)

9 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 04, 08:12:00 PM, Blogger nicole said…

    I think those are great pictures Jo! Did you take them with your camera and just put them on the posting? I think that the scoreboards are getting larger and larger so that the team can charge more to advertisers. What do you think? I believe that it is better to spend the extra money, if the company has it, to advertise on the larger board than on the field. People are naturally drawn to large objects, and during a baseball game especially during the down time, their eyes wander. Their eyes will wander to the largest object near the field, which will be the scoreboard. It is always in your face, no matter where you are in the stadium or even driving past it on the highway, a consumer can see it. It seems to be if you are sitting near the scoreboard, you cannot see the billboards that are right underneath you. So those advertisements in that position may be cheaper, but not everyone can see them all the time. I am glad that we think alike! What do you think about when companies finance stadiums? For example, the Eagles stadium is Lincoln Financial Field. Everytime someone talks about the stadium, they usually say the "Linc", at least referring to that company hundreds of times a day probably. That could be another option for huge profitable companies.
    I really enjoy your blog Jo. Keep it up!

     
  • At Tue Oct 04, 10:53:00 PM, Blogger popovich said…

    Coke and Verizon are brillant! I definitely think it is worth it for companies to spend the extra money to get a spot on the score board. Everyone looks at the board during the game...whether it be to check the score or to check the clock (that's what I always seem to be doing at games when I'm bored). I hardly ever remember the smaller companies on the wall around the stadium. I always look at them, but I only remember the big ones. I mean how could you miss them?? They're huge!! I'm sure companies pay a whole lot of money for spots on the scoreboard but I think it's worth it. Their advertisements definitely get noticed.

     
  • At Wed Oct 05, 01:29:00 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    Hey, Don’t talk smack on NASCAR. They do more the drive around in circles. There are points involved. But what you said is very true. I am personally a jimmy Johnson fan. I know his number 48, his teammate Jeff Gordon 24 and their sponsors Loews and Dupont respectively. NASCAR is doing extra well this year with the introduction of the Nextel/Sprit Cup. The changes that they have made to the game have increased demand for the game. NASCAR is even more of a contender to the NFL and NBL in the month October. This has a huge effect on advertising because not only are Nextel/sprint benefiting from the increased coverage all the sponsors are benefit as well.

     
  • At Wed Oct 05, 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Jenna B. said…

    I think it is definitely worth a company’s money to advertise on a scoreboard for any type of sports game. Just think of how many times they show it during a televised game and how many times a person in the field looks at it. This is a great way for companies to increase exposure to their brand. Even a company advertising other places on the field increases exposure to their product, but people may not recall them as easily as the huge scoreboard ads. However, the more times a person sees a brand or product, the more likely they are to remember it because it is easily accessible in their consciousness.

    I personally do not watch sports including NASCAR, but I think it is great marketing tool to have your brand on the side of a car. The only thing I am wondering is; how can consumers see the ad on the car if it is driving over 100 mph around the track? I think that would make it difficult to see the ad since the car is going by so fast and they would only be able to see it when the car is not moving. I was wondering, what do you think about buses and taxis promoting products as they do in NYC?

     
  • At Wed Oct 05, 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Eric Corson said…

    Jo,
    What a studios and diligent young lady you are. While you were at last week's Yankees/Orioles game, you took pictures that you could use for your blog. Very nice. I think you're right when you say that advertising on the scoreboard of a stadium is a great way to get your name across. It obviously worked if all you remembered was Coca-Cola and Verizon. Therefore, yes I do think it is worth the money to be one of the big advertising spenders and buy a spot on the scoreboard. As far as advertising along the outfield fence, that only predominantly reaches out to the people actually at the game. However, the spot right behind home plate may be the best location for advertisers. Just think, not only is the entire stadium focused on the home plate area for basically the whole game, but everyone watching on television is as well. Now that it is playoff time, I would not be surprised to see big spending companies fork out the money for advertising space right behind home plate.

     
  • At Fri Oct 14, 10:17:00 AM, Blogger kendro said…

    Branded Entertainment... there is so much of it out there. Theres a lot of money spent in advertising at events and sometimes people take nothing away from it. They may not remember the brand name even though it was right smack in front of their face. But if you get it big enough, it will work. And thats what coca-cola and verizon obviously did. I think it is definately worth spending the money. This happens a lot in the surfing industry. not only are the events highly advertised at with the sponsors being many companies within the industry, but they endorse athletes as well. But i think it definately is worth it. I know, when i was growing up and surfing out there with some of the local pros, i would look up to them and see what brands they "liked" even though it was brands that they were just sponsored by. But that definately had an influence on what i was buying in the shop. It definately has an impact whether its realized up front or just an outcome of a decision made by a consumer.

     
  • At Tue Oct 25, 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Mike LaShomb said…

    I think Coke and Verizon have the right idea putting those big ads next to the scoreboard. They definitely get the most attention of any advertisement in the park. If a company has the money to put the ads there then they should because I think the ads in the outfield are a waste of money, I hope those companies don’t pay much for them. As far as NASCAR goes, you’re right that is a great way for companies to advertise. The companies have a great way to get there company name in the spotlight for hours at a time. On top of that the fans know the car by the advertiser. For example DuPont is Jeff Gordon and Budweiser is Dale Earnheart Jr, when you think of the driver you think of the company. Great for getting a companies name stuck in your head.

     
  • At Sat Nov 19, 01:39:00 PM, Blogger ckrause said…

    I never really thought about it...but how rediculous is it that people watch a car drive around a track 500 times. When relating it to advertising it is like watching the same commercial 500 times! I also found it interesting that you said that NASCAR fans are "unusually loyal". I know some Nascar fans and I would definately have to agree with that fact.

    I also agree with you about the smaller ads that were placed around the field at the baseball game. We are subjected to ads so much that unless they are HUGE we just mentally block them out. As advertisers you really need to do something to differentiate your ads from others. I think that is the key to a successful ad.

     
  • At Wed Nov 23, 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan Dowens said…

    From what you said, I would agree that branded entertainment is certainly a good thing to invest in if you are a company with money. On a side note, another great form of advertising is entertaining advertising. Commercials for Geico, with their suprise endings and funny relations to other topics makes me remember that when I need to get car insurance, I could save up to 15% or more by choosing Geico.

    On to the whole NASCAR thing, I find it amusing the ways in which businesses decide to advertise. I wonder who sat down one day and said,
    "I have a great idea for how we could market our products towards southerners, lets put our name on a car so that while they watch it make left turns all day, our brandname is 'branded' right through their cowboy hat and directly on their brain." Genius, pure genius. I always laugh at what people have to say about NASCAR becuase secretly, my uncle owns the Jeff Gordon racing team. I usually don't bust that one out that often, so there ya go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Counter
Web Site Counter